Sunday, March 2, 2008

New places of interest

I've added two more places of interest (yes, over there on the right).

Angry Bear is a blog that is primarily focused on economics. They have quite a few authors producing quite a few posts (over 400 this year so far), and I find that there are many posts I don't particularly care about, but there are enough of interest that it's worth checking out.

Language Log is the well-known blog of linguists, the best-known of whom are probably Geoff Nunberg and Geoff Pullum. As it is primarily the domain of linguistics professors, there is a strong bias toward descriptivism over prescriptivism, but it is still quite interesting - the topics range from fairly technical insider-type issues to the lyrics of Elvis Presley. I don't read it every day, but I always find something of value when I do.

(By the way, a Sunday post is not the place for my take on the two schools of linguistics. Suffice it to say that I take a somewhat middle ground. It is the work of linguistics to describe the language in whatever form it takes, but that is not the same thing as encouraging an anything-goes mentality. Can one get too picky in trying to apply rules and standards? Sure. But finding linguistic meaning in "I be a good student" is not the same thing as insisting that an admissions committee or interviewer find it acceptable in an applicant.)

No comments:

Clicky Web Analytics