Monday, March 17, 2008

What is a blog for?

A few times on this blog, I have offered some small speculations as to what a blog should be. I had, and continue to have, no answers, just a developing sense as I continue to write each day. But that also generates at least as many new questions.

My post for today was going to be about some issues in software development, and, as I began to write, I realized that I was apologizing for writing about a topic I haven't talked about much before. I've made no secret here as to my background as a software developer, team leader, and project manager, but I never wanted this blog to become full of such topics as, "Intelligent design of smart pointers," no matter how clever such a title would be.

What I have done is to write about topics that interest me, but, I realize now, with an underlying sense that I had an audience. So I would write about "larger" issues, ones from economics or business or politics, things of broader scope, and not get too narrow. I don't write about software, then, or much about Chicago-area politics, or TV shows I like.

Even with that recognition, however, I find, in looking at my posts, a fair amount of "all over the map." You come to Androcass expecting something about the mortgage crisis, or Obama-Clinton wrangling, or my abject shame at being a stupid American in light of Lord Gates's testimony to Congress, and you get something about the Chicago Cubs, or about a cross-country skier.

A single purpose is probably good for a blog. When you go to Baseball Prospectus, you get baseball; when you go to Joel on Software, you get software; when you go to James Howard Kunstler, you get Armageddon.

I know some have resolved this by creating multiple blogs, each with a different purpose. First of all, I find that complicated. Second, I risk diluting the brand of Androcass (that's more or less a joke).

At the end, I guess, it comes down to what a blog is for. Is it to reflect the workings and interests of a particular mind, or is it to convey a cohesive set of thoughts about a particular subject? For now, I'll stick with the former, which works for me, but I'll try to keep an open mind.

1 comment:

Citizen Carrie said...

Those are good questions. I always figured if I never wanted to blog on a subject again, I would set up a dedicated blog site and announce from now on I'd be blogging about this single subject at this site.

Personally, I like the idea that people are blogging about things they're passionate about rather than blogging out of a sense of duty. I say the more subject matters in a blog, the better ;-)

That's just my vote.

Clicky Web Analytics