Tuesday, February 10, 2009

I'm So Paid

I don't profess to know a whole lot about the music industry, in particular the considerations that accompany release of various versions of popular songs. Take the Akon song I'm So Paid as an example. There's a radio edit that lasts about 3:20, while the video version goes another minute or so (it has an invaluable rap from Young Jeezy [!?]).

Since 4:20 is not overly long for a pop song these days, I'm not sure why there's more than one version (unless Young Jeezy with Lil Wayne is not as big a draw as Lil Wayne himself, which doesn't make any sense). More importantly, though, the mix is different. The main accompaniment, a series of synth block chords, is much less prominent in the video version. Perhaps there was some feeling that actual music would detract from the Miami Vice-like plot, but it seems like a curious choice.

I'm sure there are reasons for the change, but I can't come up with anything plausible (which means the answer is probably quite simple, right in front of my face).

No comments:

Clicky Web Analytics