Thursday, April 30, 2009

Dark doings

I'm not fond of conspiracy theories in general.  Even if I am an insider, I am enough of a democrat to believe that unshared information is harmful; if I happen to know there are layoffs coming at my place of business, my pleasure at being "in the know" is more than outweighed by the damage that the information will do (and the knowledge that dissemination will allow people to prepare for that damage).  The burden of secrecy rarely has its compensations for me.

For others, though, there is a kick to the whispering and the sidelong glances, and I am willing to concede that I am outside of the norm here.  Most people derive value from being privy to "the truth," though it's amazing how often that truth turns out to be only somewhat true.  Other people seem to enjoy getting just enough of a clue that they can endlessly speculate on what the insiders aren't saying.

So I will offer to my readers the opportunity to try to ferret out the mystery that is being alluded to concerning the disappearance of the blog Carrie's Nation.  The blog continues to link only to a message, "Blog has been removed," and I certainly have no insight as to its being gone.

But 2Truthy and Melvin Toast are hinting at some kind of secret over at 2Truthy's blog in the comments to her original post, and you can feel free to speculate among yourselves.

Note: my lack of interest in the arcana does not prevent me from a thank-you to 2Truthy for her kind words in the sixth comment.  I am inadequate, as I do not fill the same niche as Citizen Carrie did, and I am unlikely to start poring over the India Times any time soon.

And to my friend mcfnord, who takes another opportunity for some mild sniping, I can only offer the wish that he would engage in discussion on what I actually write, but I have conceded the unlikelihood of that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

most of what you write does not interest me, which isn't a big deal, is it? my appraisal of your post about me was accurate. yeah, you actually wrote about me without knowing much.

"ACTUALLY WRITTEN"

the big thing i think about you lately, now that you've self-censored the most revealing emotional rants, is how you lost 50% in equities. i lost nothing. but you're the one with all the big insights, insisting you did it "right". in that case i'm happy to do it wrong.

i think about the loss of carrie: she's the craziest one, who thumbs her nose at real news sources, and like you craves dishing on bad news sources. she even dishes on education. meanwhile during the last 6 months i've focused on retooling every day, so i can compete. and i'll be returning to microsoft may 14th. what a freaky lady to disbelieve, to call me troll... anything but hear what i'm saying and believe i am telling the truth as i see it. ANYTHING BUT THAT. Anything but what i've ACTUALLY WRITTEN.

some of the critics are pretty outrageous, though, seething with bubbling with vitriol. i am, indeed, the cause of this world's problems! and i want to put the jews in a camp! unusual and wonderful, to those who find humor in such people.

- mcfnord

2Truthy said...

"But 2Truthy and Melvin Toast are hinting at some kind of secret over at 2Truthy's blog in the comments to her original post, and you can feel free to speculate among yourselves."

In a nutshell, the entity known as 'Carrie's Nation' was likely one or more professional researchers working for a firm that pulled the plug at the end of April. That explains the blogger, CC's sudden and mysterious disappearance. Job over, on to the next disparate gig, maybe with tax codes. Detroit housewife? Fine. Sure.

"Craves dishing on bad news?" McF.

Spare me. CC dug facts and supported those claims surrounding the bad news stories our citizens are facing. Pulling the plug on that blog leaves me to conclude that the rich, proven content Citizen Carrie amassed may appear in a movie or a book one of these days. Either that or some lone housewife in Novi, MI blew her brains out after hitting the 'delete' button on her blog out of desperation over the crappy way the economy may have been affecting her and her family and community. (I think this was the intended, literary exit strategy and do not at all believe this actually happened.)

JohnDiddler said...

I googled my name "mcfnord flowers" looking for a poem I wrote but I found this post and not the poem.

I addressed WHAT YOU WROTE so damn much. I still think about WHAT YOU WROTE when i work with Indians. WHAT YOU WROTE is that you met too many that had no skill. And daily I write with ones who do. And it just makes me want to understand your own experience better, but of course you weed all that personal stuff out, to your detriment.

"In a nutshell, the entity known as 'Carrie's Nation' was likely one or more professional researchers working for a firm that pulled the plug at the end of April."

I had missed this theory. It's kind of a whopper. I'm skeptical of it but who knows. A movie or book. I'm skeptical but who knows.

CC dug facts out of gutters. She dug facts like my 2 y.o. digs sand. She'd "dig facts" like going to microsoft.com to evaluate their hiring demands. Meanwhile I know where to go to actually get those jobs. (Hint: not there.) She mixed hysteria too much with a weak understanding and hyperbole was the result.

I wonder what she's up to. Hope she's getting along.

I think I'll call my style here "skeleton blogging". Picking through the bones. - MCFNORD

Clicky Web Analytics