Saturday, July 5, 2008

Fights

I don't talk much (or, really, think much) about the various Internet feuds that are pretty well known. Kathy G has her battles with Megan McArdle; those are mildly entertaining, trying to figure out which one will devastate the other with economic arguments, though all that usually happens is that I am confirmed in my belief that economics still has a long way to go to answer fundamental questions.

There are several people I read, though, at least occasionally, who seem to have a real thing about Kathryn Jean Lopez, who writes for The Corner at the National Review. I will once in a while look in there, but find a little too much Bush-love for my taste.

I have written before that I am a moderate Republican, one who feels there is no place for me in the current version of the party. There is a principled stand one can make for conservative principles, but the party leadership has allowed that to be co-opted and extreme pretty much since the Reagan years, and I doubt I'm the only person who feels disaffected. Any reputable Republican ought to be embarrassed by what Bush/Cheney have done to the rule of law and the proper tension between the two versions of America that most of us try to hold simultaneously. I was mortified by Nixon - Bush should equally be treated as an apostate.

That said, I've never gotten caught up in the K-Lo hating; what little I've read of her seems pretty much stock, without much attempt at independent thought. When Yglesias criticizes her, it hasn't meant too much to me.

But then, I come across this from K-Lo:
A totally crazy Saturday-morning thought: Wouldn't George W. Bush make an awesome high-school government teacher? Wouldn't it be something if his post-presidential life would up being that kind of post-service service? How's that for a model? Who needs Harvard visiting chairs and high-end lectures? How about Crawford High? (Or wherever?) Reach out and touch the young before they are jaded, or break them of the cynicism pop culture and possibly their parents have passed down to them. Whatever you think of President Bush, he's a likable guy in love with his country with some history and experience to share.

Like I said, crazy. Saturday. Have a good one.
I got that from Yglesias today, and his comment:
The best part will be when he explains to kids that the president does not, in fact, have an obligation to follow the law and can just order arbitrary detention and torture willy-nilly because, hey, we're a nation at (undeclared, neverending) war.
probably needs no follow-up, except for open-mouthed gaping at the very thought of Bush as a molder of young minds.

No comments:

Clicky Web Analytics