Saturday, July 5, 2008

WRONG!!!

Does anyone in the world still watch that train wreck that is The McLaughlin Group? I didn't even know it was still on until a few weeks ago when I noticed it in the Saturday evening TV listings. I turned it on in curiosity, finding that Dana Carvey's SNL parody didn't come close to the awfulness.

If there was any attempt to actually let people talk, it might be of some interest. There might not be a whole lot surprising; Monica Crowley is pretty predictable (I have actually found Pat Buchanan to be nuanced in comparison).

But there is no such attempt, just 30 minutes of cross-talk (it's what I picture the translation room at the UN to be like, but at a much higher volume). If there are any points being made, they're lost in a morass of sound. It's easy to see how this became the model for subsequent programs (I'm looking at you, Chris Matthews); it's a lot harder to see how it stays on the air.

No comments:

Clicky Web Analytics