Monday, September 29, 2008

Our "leaders"

As for the bailout, if I hear one more politician say, "I don't like it, but I'm going to have to hold my nose and support it," I think I'm going to lose it. This is simply pandering, given that public support is running so strongly against this. This is eating your cake and having it too, as you show your constituents that you care enough not to like it, but you still feel compelled by principle to getting behind it.

If you don't like it, propose something else. If the unprecedented concentration of power in the hands of the same people who spent years ignoring the problems bothers you, say so and back it up with a vote.

As it is, what you're actually saying is, "I don't really understand it, but I know the voters don't like it, so I will say I don't like it, but I'm not going to tick off the party leaders by voting against it, especially when they well know I won't have any idea why I'm voting against it." Haven't we had enough of "leaders" who approach issues in that way?

No comments:

Clicky Web Analytics