Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Passwords

Speaking of Joel Spolsky, as I did in my last post, I don't mention him very often because his very popular site, Joel on Software, doesn't need any pub from me, and I don't write about software much on this blog.

I'll make an exception here because Joel published a post while I was away that deals with the problem of managing passwords. If you're like me, you have passwords on a whole lot of different sites (five e-mail accounts, a few bank and financial institutions, and so on, and so on), and you might get nervous about either of the two common solutions: 1) Use the same password for all (maybe with some slight variations), or 2) Have a file someplace that contains all of your passwords. Neither of these is ideal, as I'm sure you know.

I cannot yet personally vouch for the method that Joel outlines (I just read the post), but I plan to give it a try, and Joel has a pretty good track record on ideas and recommendations.

No comments:

Clicky Web Analytics