Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Bush Country

A few days ago, Yglesias posted a blurb from a few years ago that was so profoundly pro-Bush as to be embarrassing. He promised to find more of these and post them on his blog during the declining Bush days. To me, a little of this goes a long way; I think it's more important to monitor the future nonsense which will emerge as the few Bush supporters who are left try to burnish his image for HISTORY! There appear to be a goodly number of folks who are going to publish articles and blog posts that argue that George W. Bush was one of the great presidents ever. I find that unlikely, but anything is possible, I suppose.

Despite my reservations about going back in time, I did provide Yglesias with a possibility (he solicited readers' suggestions). The ickiest thing I ever read was John Podhoretz's book, Bush Country: How Dubya Became a Great President While Driving Liberals Insane. This strange book concluded that Bush was "astonishing" (something we can agree upon, even if our sense of the word is different) after only three years. The least revolting parts of this book read like a job application (George, pick me, choose me). Unfortunately, there is the rest of the book, which comes off as a love letter to the president.

Yglesias did pick up on that and wrote a post about the book; unfortunately, he didn't acknowledge the source of the suggestion, but I guess that happens. We little bloggers are just the outsourced workers in the big-blog world.

No comments:

Clicky Web Analytics